Current activities of the Colombo University Faculty of Science Alumni Association of North America (CUFSAA).
- Medical supplies Project Due to the Sri Lankans’ dire state in obtaining critically needed medication and medical equipment, CUFSAA-NA embarked on this project to support Medical Supplies donations to Sri Lanka. Many medical professionals and CUFSAA members have asked us to intervene in this humanitarian crisis and save lives. Please visit our Medical Supplies Project page to obtain up to date information on the project and ways to donate and support.
- Urgent request to help UoC Students in Remote Learning CUFSAA-NA have decided to go all out to support our alma mater to help in her noble cause to change the lives of these students as the whole world suffers through a catastrophe of historic proportions.
- Professor Valentine Joseph Memorial Gold Medal and Scholarships – We at CUFSAA took the true spirit of Professor Joseph when designing this Gold Medal scholarship. The Gold Medal and cash award is given to the Best Mathematics student graduating from the Department of Mathematics at the Annual convocation. The premium scholarships are aimed at paying around Rs. 5,000 each to two mathematics majoring students taking both academic achievement and economic needs into consideration. We need to raise at least US$13,000 towards the endowment to achieve this. Please visit above link to donate.
- CUFSAA-NA “Take a Book Program” – How about carrying a book for the department of your choice when you go to Sri Lanka next? If you are willing to help, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org for further information. In addition to carrying a book (or more if you wish to) when you visit Sri Lanka, we collect books and ship them to Sri Lanka. If you have books that you would like to donate, please ship them to Dr. Saliya de Silva at 393 Valley Road, River Edge, NJ 07661.
- Guest Lecture Program – You can present your research and scientific work to an enthusiastic audience at the Science Faculty of Sri Lanka.
Let us know when you travel with an abstract, we can arrange it for you. Contact us via email@example.com. We would like to list activities of note performed by CUFSAA members towards the general goal of supporting the Science Faculty of the University of Colombo. If you know of any note worthy activity/event, please send it to us.
- CUFSAA Mentoring Program – Be a North American Mentor to a new UofC Graduate – CUFSAA has created a mentor list of our alumni who live in different cities in North America so that, if a new UoC graduate arriving for graduates studies or for a job is looking for a friendly face in the city or the state, we can, with your permission, get this young person in contact with you. If you are willing to help out the next generation of UoC alumni in North America, please send your name, location, and contact information to us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
In addition to project specific donation requests listed above, CUFSAA maintains three funds to support its activities. Please visit the Donation page or click on the links below to visit the webpage to donate. These finds will be utilized to support CUFSAA activities that falls on each of these categories.
Any excess funds received for a specific CUFSAA activity will be deposited into the CUFSAA General Fund at the conclusion of that project or activity. Any shortfalls of funds required for the successful completion of a specific CUFSAA activity will also be provided by the General Fund as needed.
- CUFSAA General Fund – CUFSAA General Fund is to accept donations for funding activities of CUFSAA in general. Your donation to CUFSAA General Fund can help us tremendously to support projects of high importance.
- Science Faculty Emergency Fund – When we receive notification of U of C science faculty, students, or staff needing immediate assistance, we utilize this fund to support their urgent financial needs.
- Science Faculty Projects Fund – We are collecting funds to support urgent infrastructure needs of the Science Faculty that are otherwise not funded by available resources or organizations.