Current activities of the Colombo University Faculty of Science Alumni Association of North America (CUFSAA).
- Professor Valentine Joseph Memorial Gold Medal and Scholarships – We at CUFSAA took the true spirit of Professor Joseph when designing this Gold Medal scholarship. The Gold Medal and cash award is given to the Best Mathematics student graduating from the Department of Mathematics at the Annual convocation. The premium scholarships are aimed at paying around Rs. 5,000 each to two mathematics majoring students taking both academic achievement and economic needs into consideration. We need to raise at least US$13,000 towards the endowment to achieve this. Please visit above link to donate.
- Upgrade the Computer Facilities in the Plant Science Department Pertaining to the Bioinformatics Special Degree Program – (Cost Estimate $5500) The plant science department at the University of Colombo introduced a special degree program in Bioinformatics in 2006. With the growing demand in bioinformatics worldwide, this program allows a selected group of students in the department an opportunity to learn to integrate biology with computer science through instructions and research. In order to analyze data sets related to genomics, transcriptomics, proteomics, and metabolomics research, more sophisticated and efficient computer infrastructure is required. At present, the department is not equipped with such capabilities and at the request from the plant science department to CUFSAA, we initiated the project to raise funds to fulfill this requirement. At present, the department selects eight undergraduates for this program yearly and as part of the degree requirements all students are required to do a research project, which demands for high performance computers. Inadequate computational power to carryout research projects, which contain large data sets, are limiting the students to do high quality research in the field. Qualified and experienced scientists in bioinformatics in the plant science department supervise these projects. With this donation of the two new high performance computers with higher speed, more memory and storage capacity, the faculty and the students in the plant science department will be able to do cutting-edge research relevant to bioinformatics and students trained to meet the requirements of the current workforce. The targeted funding was raised with the donations from CUFSSA well wishes, and it is at the completion stage.
- Gold Medal for Special Degree Program in Computational Chemistry – The Department of Chemistry (U of C) is of the view that the award of a gold medal for Special Degree in Computational Chemistry would not only motivate these students but would also assist them in securing positions for postgraduate studies. The Colombo University Faculty of Science Alumni Association of North America (CUFSAA-NA), in consultation with the Faculty of Science, has decided to fill this void by sponsoring a gold medal in computational chemistry. The award shall be named the ‘CUFSAA Gold Medal for Computational Chemistry’ and shall be awarded annually from the academic year 2019/2020 for the best performance with either a First or Second Class (Upper Division) in the Honours degree examination in Computational Chemistry.
- CUFSAA-NA “Take a Book Program” – How about carrying a book for the department of your choice when you go to Sri Lanka next? If you are willing to help, please email us at email@example.com for further information. In addition to carrying a book (or more if you wish to) when you visit Sri Lanka, we collect books and ship them to Sri Lanka. If you have books that you would like to donate, please ship them to Dr. Saliya de Silva at 393 Valley Road, River Edge, NJ 07661.
- Guest Lecture Program – You can present your research and scientific work to an enthusiastic audience at the Science Faculty of Sri Lanka.
Let us know when you travel with an abstract, we can arrange it for you. Contact us via firstname.lastname@example.org. We would like to list activities of note performed by CUFSAA members towards the general goal of supporting the Science Faculty of the University of Colombo. If you know of any note worthy activity/event, please send it to us.
- CUFSAA Mentoring Program – Be a North American Mentor to a new UofC Graduate – CUFSAA has created a mentor list of our alumni who live in different cities in North America so that, if a new UoC graduate arriving for graduates studies or for a job is looking for a friendly face in the city or the state, we can, with your permission, get this young person in contact with you. If you are willing to help out the next generation of UoC alumni in North America, please send your name, location, and contact information to us at email@example.com.
In addition to project specific donation requests listed above, CUFSAA maintains two funds to support its activities. Please visit the Donation page or click on the links below to visit the webpage to donate.
– CUFSAA General Fund is to accept donations for funding activities of CUFSAA in general. Your donation to CUFSAA General Fund can help us tremendously to support projects of high importance.
- Science Faculty Emergency Fund – When we receive notification of U of C science faculty, students, or staff needing immediate assistance, we utilize this fund to support their urgent financial needs.