Current activities of the Colombo University Faculty of Science Alumni Association of North America (CUFSAA).
- Physics Equipment Donation Project [February 2023 – Current] – In the Department of Physics, over the years, classic experimental laboratory apparatus have provided essential learning experiences to undergraduates. However, some of the cherished experiments (e.g., Zeeman effect experiment, Determination of e/m ratio, Fabry-Perot interferometer, etc.) are no longer in usable/repairable condition. After receiving a request from the Head of the Department of Physics through the Dean, Science Faculty, CUFSAA decided to accept the request to donate physics equipment. The physics equipment donation subcommittee identified several equipment to be donated based on the UoC prioritization, considering the usage and the current status of the specific items. Equipment list we would like to send to UoC can be viewed via this link. If you are willing and able to support this project, please send your donation to the CUFSAA.
- Professor M L T Kannangara Scholarship & Gold Medal (Total Raised $4,309.32; Total Disbursed $210.00 as of October 28, 2022) [Started June 2022] – We are glad to inform that CUFSAA Executive Committee officially approved the proposal to establish two Scholarships to be given to Physics Special students each year (a third-year scholarship and the continuation of the third-year scholarship during the fourth year), and a gold medal to be awarded to the outstanding Physics Special Graduate with a First Class Honors at the Convocation. The scholarships and the gold medal will honor Prof. M L T Kannangara, a former head of the department of Physics at the University of Colombo (UoC) who was an excellent instructor and who was also instrumental in establishing the UoC-Uppsala joint research project among various other services to the Physics program at UoC. Given the situation in Sri Lanka, several of those students are in dire need of financial support. Therefore, we plan to award a scholarship for the year 2022-2023. If you are willing and able to support this project, please send your donation to the CUFSAA.
- Medical supplies Project – (Total Raised $18,857.18; Total Disbursed $16,729.53 as of October 28, 2022) [April 2022 – Current] Due to the Sri Lankans’ dire state in obtaining critically needed medication and medical equipment, CUFSAA-NA embarked on this project to support Medical Supplies donations to Sri Lanka. Many medical professionals and CUFSAA members have asked us to intervene in this humanitarian crisis and save lives. Please visit our Medical Supplies Project page to obtain up to date information on the project and ways to donate and support.
- Urgent request to help UoC Students in Remote Learning – (Total Raised $12,902.85; Total Disbursed $11,721.66 as of October 28, 2022) [May 2020 – Current] CUFSAA-NA have decided to go all out to support our alma mater to help in her noble cause to change the lives of these students as the whole world suffers through a catastrophe of historic proportions.
- Professor Valentine Joseph Memorial Scholarship and Gold medals project (Total Raised $13,032.67) [Started in May 2018] – In 2018, CUFSAA-NA launched a fundraiser to immortalize late Professor Valentine Joseph’s name through a project consisting of scholarships and gold medal presentations to outstanding students. The Gold Medal and cash award is given to the Best Mathematics student graduating from the Department of Mathematics at the Annual convocation. The premium scholarships are aimed at paying around Rs. 5,000 each to two mathematics majoring students taking both academic achievement and economic needs into consideration. In the last three years, CUFSAA raised an amount of US$ 13,032.67 for this project. Gold Medals and Scholarships are being awarded since 2019 convocation of the University of Colombo.
- CUFSAA Student Scholarships (Dispersed over $6000 as of October 28, 2022) – [Started in May 2018] – Since inception CUFSAA has been supporting students need via Scholarships.
- CUFSAA Distinguished Speaker Series is organized by the Speaker Series subcommittee of CUFSAA-NA in association with the Faculty of Science, University of Colombo. Please visit the page to find out about the speaker series, currently scheduled talks, and recordings of previously delivered talks., If you would like to suggest speakers or contact the subcommittee provide your input, please write to the subcommitee at email@example.com. We are particularly interested in hearing from our members with topic and speaker suggestions.
- CUFSAA-NA “Take a Book Program” – How about carrying a book for the department of your choice when you go to Sri Lanka next? If you are willing to help, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org for further information. In addition to carrying a book (or more if you wish to) when you visit Sri Lanka, we collect books and ship them to Sri Lanka. If you have books that you would like to donate, please ship them to Dr. Saliya de Silva at 393 Valley Road, River Edge, NJ 07661.
- Guest Lecture Program – You can present your research and scientific work to an enthusiastic audience at the Science Faculty of Sri Lanka.
Let us know when you travel with an abstract, we can arrange it for you. Contact us via email@example.com. We would like to list activities of note performed by CUFSAA members towards the general goal of supporting the Science Faculty of the University of Colombo. If you know of any note worthy activity/event, please send it to us.
- CUFSAA Mentoring Program – Be a North American Mentor to a new UofC Graduate – CUFSAA has created a mentor list of our alumni who live in different cities in North America so that, if a new UoC graduate arriving for graduates studies or for a job is looking for a friendly face in the city or the state, we can, with your permission, get this young person in contact with you. If you are willing to help out the next generation of UoC alumni in North America, please send your name, location, and contact information to us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
In addition to project specific donation requests listed above, CUFSAA maintains three funds to support its activities. Please visit the Donation page or click on the links below to visit the webpage to donate. These finds will be utilized to support CUFSAA activities that falls on each of these categories.
Any excess funds received for a specific CUFSAA activity will be deposited into the CUFSAA General Fund at the conclusion of that project or activity. Any shortfalls of funds required for the successful completion of a specific CUFSAA activity will also be provided by the General Fund as needed.
- CUFSAA General Fund – CUFSAA General Fund is to accept donations for funding activities of CUFSAA in general. Your donation to CUFSAA General Fund can help us tremendously to support projects of high importance.
- Science Faculty Emergency Fund – When we receive notification of U of C science faculty, students, or staff needing immediate assistance, we utilize this fund to support their urgent financial needs.
- Science Faculty Projects Fund – We are collecting funds to support urgent infrastructure needs of the Science Faculty that are otherwise not funded by available resources or organizations.