The Panel Discussion of CUFSAA-NA Distinguished Speaker Series organized in association with the Faculty of Science, University of Colombo on the topics of Graduate Admissions to USA and Canada was held on July 12th 2023, 9:30AM Eastern Time (July 12th 2023, 7:00pm Sri Lankan Time).
Please review the video recording of the event and if you have any questions, comments or additional thoughts to pass on to us, you can reach out to us at email@example.com.
The details of the panel and ways to view the video recording are also listed below.
Title: Panel Discussion on Graduate Admissions to USA and Canada
- Dr. Harshica Fernando: Assistant Professor of Chemistry, Prairie View A&M University
- Dr. Arunika Gunawardena: Professor of Biology, Dalhousie University
- Dr. Amita Manatunga: Donna J. Brogan Professor of Biostatistics, Emory University
- Dr. Amita Manatunga is Professor of Biostatistics at the Department of Biostatistics and Bioinformatics, Rollins School of Public Health, Emory University. She received her undergraduate degree in physics and mathematics (B.Sc., First Class Honors) from the University of Colombo, Sri Lanka. After arriving USA for her higher studies, she earned her master’s degree in statistics from Purdue University, Indiana, and later, she received her doctoral degree in statistics from the University of Rochester, New York. Prior to joining Emory, Dr. Manatunga was assistant professor of biostatistics at the Division of Biostatistics, Medical Center, Indiana University, Indianapolis for three years. In January 1994, she joined the faculty of the Department of Biostatistics and Bioinformatics at the Rollins School of Public Health, Atlanta. She was promoted to Associate Professor with tenure in 1997, and to full Professor of Biostatistics in 2004. In 2020, Dr. Manatunga was honored with an endowed professorship and has been named as the inaugural Donna J. Brogan Professor in Biostatistics.
- Dr. Manatunga has dedicated her career to developing new innovative statistical and computational methods for addressing pressing public health challenges. Most of her work is inspired by the need for new methods and applications of complex data structures to address important public health and biomedical problems including those encountered in mental health, cardiology, epidemiology and nuclear medicine. Over the years, Dr. Manatunga has received many recognitions for her contribution to research, teaching, and exemplifying the ideals of public health and serving as role model and mentor to colleagues and students. Of note, she received one of the most prestigious awards in statistics, Elizabeth L. Scott award and lectureship in 2020 from the Committee of Presidents of Statistical Societies (COPSS), formed by five major statistical societies in North America. Currently she serves as the Chair for the Committee of Presidents of Statistical Societies for a three-year term. She is a Fellow of the American Statistical association.
- Dr. Unil Perera: Regents Professor of Physics, Georgia State University
- Dr. Kirthi Premadasa : Professor of Mathematics, University of Wisconsin-Platteville
The talk was delivered via FB Live and YouTube Live. Please join via FB Live or YouTube Live using links listed below to view the recording of the Panel Discussion.
- CUFSAA Facebook Page
- CUFSAA Speaker Series YouTube Channel